Over the years, English has grown to become the unofficial lingua franca of the research community. Articles written in other languages, unfortunately, reach a limited audience and this gap between English and non-English papers can be bridged by translation. Today, you are likely to find many translation service providers online. However, translation of academic papers requires a different set of skills.
Below is a list of factors you need to consider as a researcher while choosing a translation service for your manuscript.
1. Subject Specialist Translators: Academic writing is highly specialized. It consists of hypotheses, complex theories, scientific principles, and conjecture. If you are looking to get your academic paper translated into another language, it is important that the original meaning of your research is retained in the translated language. Different audiences should not infer different meanings from your paper. Hence, you should look for translation service providers that have subject specialists. For a top notch translation, it is imperative that the translator working on your document understands your research and the concepts you mention. A one-size-fits-all approach will not give you the desired results.
2. Quality: Having subject-specific translators is no guarantee for high-quality translation. While choosing a translation service provider, inquire about the process they follow or the steps they take to deliver quality. For example, if you want to your academic paper translated from Spanish to English, translation alone will not give you a high-quality, polished product. The translated manuscript should be reviewed by someone who is well-versed in both Spanish and English to check if the translated manuscript correctly conveys your hypothesis, results, and inferences. This check is essential as translation of certain terms or theories into another language can be tricky. The translation review should then be followed by English editing to ensure that the translated document is grammatically correct and follows all the rules of the English language. As a final touch, the edited manuscript should be reviewed to check that all your requirements have been met and that the translated document being delivered to you is ready for submission.
3. Service: If you don’t know how a translation service works or what to expect, your first point of contact should listen your needs, explain the process to you in simple words, and suggest the best solution for your requirements. In case of you have additional queries, your point of contact (client manager/customer service representative/project manager) should respond to you within that business day, preferably within a few hours. A good, client-conscious translation service provider should be willing to customize services to meet your specifications – price, delivery time, etc.
4. Security and Confidentiality: You want to get your manuscript translated by a reliable and trustworthy agency. Your academic paper is the result of months and years of research work; it should be handled with care. Look for translation service providers with robust, ISO-certified IT security systems that allow for safe and secure transfer of your original paper and the translated document. The translation service provider should assure you that your intellectual property is safe with them.
5. Post-translation support: Translation is a collaborative process that may require some back and forth between the author and the translator. A high-quality translation service agency will offer post-translation support where you can communicate your concerns and specifications with the translator.
All our editing plans come with 100% confidentiality and quality guarantee.