Q: I have published under different names; how to indicate this?

Detailed Question -

I have published (1) under my maiden name (2) under my (first) married name and (3) under my (second married name). How can I show in a list of references that all these names refer to the same person?

1 Answer to this question

It would have been better if you had used "nee[maiden name]" when you published after marriage. This would help avoid confusion and would be an easier way to verify that you were the author of all the different publications. Alternatively, having an ORCID iD would have helped identify that all these publications belong to the same researcher. , it should not be a problem at all.

If you have an ORCID iD, you can simply list your publications under different names providing the DOI.

However, if you don't have an ORCID iD, the only other option that comes to my mind is adding an asterisk at the beginning of the Reference List (in case the list contains only your publications) or after each reference (in case the list includes publications by other researchers as well) and mentioning in a footnote something like this: Jane Doe, Jane Smith and Jane Eyre are the same person, name changed to Jane Smith in 1998, name changed to Jane Eyre in 2005. 

However, it might be a good idea to first consult a senior researcher in your field to understand whether this is acceptable.

Related reading:

How is an author's name change reflected in his or her publications?