Q: How can I write a proper summary?
What are the procedures or most the important things I must do to write a proper summary?
An academic summary is a shortened version of a text which gives the reader a clear idea about the main points in it. The key to writing a summary is to identify the most important ideas and do away with anything that is superfluous, redundant, or less important. in fact, detailed explanations and examples should also be excluded from the summary. Most importantly, the summary should be written as far as possible in your own words.
To write an effective summary, you have to ensure the following:
1. To write a good summary, you should first read the text several times and decide what the main idea is. Also make a note of the most important points that the author wishes to convey.
2. Begin the summary by acknowledging the source. For instance, you could begin with a sentence such as: "This is a summary of the article XXXX written by XXXX published in XXXX."
3. Next, write a topic sentence that conveys the main idea of the text. For example: "In this text, the author wishes to emphasize the importance of XXXX in calculating the YYYY in animal cells."
3. You should then write down the summary consulting the important points you have noted down.
4. Use your own words as far as possible.
5. Remember not to use "I" or "We" to convey any of the author's thoughts or ideas. You should always use phrases such as "the author feels," "the author points out," etc.
6. If you happen to use phrases or sentences directly from the text, make sure you use them in quotes. However, minimize the use of direct quotes as far as possible.
The easiest approach to create a summary of any information is to thoroughly read it and select out the elements that convey the overall idea of the content.
There are several content summary tools available that can do this for you. You may see the key or most important lines of any document or text by using summarising tools.
However, if you have a long text to summarise, just utilise AI-based tools, and if you have enough time, go with your brain and choose the parts that convey the paragraph's aim.
This is the ideal way to summarise any material, but AI is also our future, and we can rely on AI to perform this work for us to save time and effort.