You are here
Dr. Donald Samulack, US Operations, Editage, Cactus Communications, in conversation with Euan Adie, Founder and CEO of Altmetric
The first part of this interview series provides a basic introduction to Altmetric. Euan says that his own needs as a researcher and author led him to set up Altmetric. As a bioinformatics researcher, he realized that researchers in some fields are unable to publish papers in high-impact/well-known publications such as Nature or PNAS, simply because of the nature of their research output. He also understood that the impact factor is not the ultimate indicator of research quality. Altmetric fills this gap by providing alternative metrics to measure the impact of all types of research output made available on various platforms. Altmetric collects information about all platforms where an article is being discussed, used, or shared online and evaluates research impact accordingly.
Other vignettes in the series:
- Part 2: How Altmetric measures research impact
- Part 3: Finding and interpreting Altmetric data for published papers
- Part 4: What changes does the current research landscape need?
- Part 5: Researchers should use altmetrics data to advance their careers
- Part 6: The difference between Altmetric and alternative metrics
- Part 7: How Altmetric evolved as a platform that increases the discoverability of research