Are you ready for International Open Access Week 2022?
Research-driven scientific and societal progress can occur faster through free and immediate online access to existing scholarly research. Removing paywalls and other access barriers makes a study’s results available to everyone, driving equitable knowledge-sharing as well as discovery and innovation worldwide.
So, join us as we gear up for International Open Access Week 2022!
What is Open Access Week?
Open Access Week, celebrated every October, is an opportunity for researchers, universities, research societies, and publishers to
- gain more in-depth knowledge about the potential benefits of open access,
- highlight their own contributions toward the open access movement,
- share learnings with wide audiences, and
- contribute toward making open access the new normal of scholarly publishing.
Open Access Week was founded in 2008 and is organized every year by the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition in partnership with the Open Access Week Advisory Committee.
What is this year’s theme?
This year’s theme for Open Access Week is “Open for Climate Justice.” Open access can prove critical for progress in various research fields that directly contribute to solving major global problems. Given the urgency of action required to mitigate climate change and its impact, it is apt that climate research is the focus of this year’s theme. Climate and environmental science stands to gain tremendously from increased collaboration and knowledge-sharing that open access can promote. Such knowledge-sharing has tremendous value, both within academia and among non-scientific audiences such as non-profits, advocacy groups, policymakers, and citizens.
When is it?
Open Access Week will be held virtually from October 24 to 30, 2022.
What’s in it for you?
We are excited to explore and share insights about how openness in science can drive climate justice. Here’s a peek at what we’ve in store for you:
- Understand why climate research and data should be open access: You can look forward to interesting views from experts in the field, discussing the pros and cons of making climate research and data openly available.
- Get tips on how to find funding to publish in an open access journal: An open access expert will share tips for researchers on how they can get funding to cover article processing charges (APCs) and publish their papers open access.
- Other resources: We’ll be compiling various resources to help you navigate the open access publishing landscape, including a glossary of commonly used terms.
Open Access Week is an invaluable opportunity for researchers, journals, societies, and publishers to connect with each other and deepen their understanding of policies about and best practices around open access publishing. Expect an exciting host of opportunities to broaden your awareness of open access publishing and the open science movement! Watch this space for more.
You're looking to give wings to your academic career and publication journey. We like that!
Why don't we give you complete access! Create a free account and get unlimited access to all resources & a vibrant researcher community.
Subscribe to Journal Selection
After writing a research paper, the next step is to find the right journal to publish it. Subscribe and get curated content to find the perfect journal that will give impetus to your research paper and your career.