Q: If the dataset and method for two papers are the same but the result is different, would they be considered a case of salami slicing?
I wrote a paper (1) about how the variable A of a group affects the outcome B, and it was published. After that, I investigated how A affects the outcome C. For this investigation, I used the same dataset and method in the original paper (1), but obtained a different result from that in paper 1. I wish to develop another paper (2) with this result. However, I wonder if this would be salami slicing?
From what we understand, the dataset, method, and variable are the same for both studies. The outcomes are different, but it’s not mentioned how different they are. Without having more details, it would be tough to say whether this is indeed a case of salami slicing. It would be salami slicing if the outcomes are not very different. If however the outcomes are significantly or entirely different (which means the research questions are also different), it may not be a case of salami slicing.
Here’s what we suggest:
- Based on the discussion here, if you think this is salami slicing but still wish to publish these results, you may submit it as an addendum to the previous study.
- If you still wish to submit it as a new study, you may consider submitting it to the same journal as for paper 1. The editor would also be able to guide you better, as they would be familiar with your previous paper. In case it’s not possible to submit to the previous journal, you may submit paper 2 to a new journal, but informing them of the full details of paper 1.
- You could consult with a senior or supervisor, who would be more familiar with your studies and therefore possibly be able to guide you more aptly.
- You may also refer to the following queries that discuss similar situations as yours, to be able to arrive at a decision:
- Is using similar methods in two different papers considered salami slicing?
- Is it salami slicing if I publish a new study based on my previous published work?
- Is it salami slicing if I publish two papers from two different data sets taken from the same participants?
- Will using the same sample group in two publications be considered as salami publication?
All the best for a sound decision – and submission.