Q: What are the rules for establishing an English-language journal in China?

Detailed Question -

When establishing an all-English journal, do I only need to apply for the ISSN number? Or I should also apply for the CN(Chinese number) number.

1 Answer to this question

Different countries have different publication policies. Since you plan to establish a new journal in China, it is best to check with the official publication policy of your country. From what I understand, publication activity in China includes publishing, printing or copying, importing, and issuing publications within China. Publications refer to newspapers, journals, books, video/audio products, digital products etc.

According to this policy, if a journal is issued from China, even if it is an English-only journal, the publishers should get both the ISSN and CN number. However, I would suggest that you check the site yourself before you make a decision.

You might find the following articles interesting: